Skip to main content

Eye Emergencies

When to Seek Medical Care

In most cases, if you have continuing symptoms of pain, visual disturbance, or bleeding, you may need to be referred to an ophthalmologist. Our doctors can evaluate your problem and make a timely referral if necessary.

In general, if you are not sure if you have a serious eye injury, call your us for help.

Call for medical attention immediately in the following circumstances:


  • Black spots or flashes of light in your vision.
  • Curtain-like disappearance of your vision.
  • Loss of side vision.
  • Sudden loss of vision in one eye.
  • Sudden hazy or blurred vision.
  • Seeing halos or rainbows around lights.
  • Eye injury or pain.
  • Sudden double vision.
  • Red, crusty or swollen eyelids.

If you have an emergency outside our normal business hours please call Dr. Anderson at 814-777-2475. If you are unable to speak to Dr. Anderson directly, leave a message and then seek emergency attention at an ER or dial 911